Lost and Found... the newsletter of Volume 8, Issue 4
10 April 2003
Editors: Mike Dugger, David Dixon, and Tom Russo

Cibola Search and Rescue
"That Others May Live..."
Top of the Hill Boots and Blisters Business as Usual:Meeting Minutes
Public Relations Web News Disclaimer/Copyright
Back to Top
Top of the Hill by Aaron Hall , President
Two subjects have been brought up this month that certainly warrant careful consideration by all members of this team, they are 1) changes to our callout procedure and 2) changes to our land navigation evaluation standard. I expect that both will be discussed at April's business meeting, but I think that both are important enough that everyone should have an opportunity to comment. Here's what I understand of the two topics:

First the callout procedure: It was noted that our phone tree system introduces an inherent time lag in our callout of 20-25 minutes from the time ARES activates us until all of our members are notified. The time lag is the result of tops of trees having to listen to the message and then call their tree. The last people on the tree are typically getting notified 20-25 minutes after ARES has called. Its a pretty good system but the question has been asked, can we make it better. Since responding to missions in a timely manner is absolutely critical to what we do as a Search and Rescue team, I think that efforts to make our callout procedure more efficient would be time well spent.

Second the land navigation evaluation standard: As SAR responders the ability to read a map and locate ourselves on it is very important. Thus, our land navigation evaluation standard requires that each member locate themselves on a map by doing a resection. Over the years, many people have observed that in practice they rarely (read never) use a resection in the field. Thus, the following question has been asked: Is there another technique for locating one's position on a map that would be more appropriate for SAR land navigation and if there is should we change our land navigation evaluation standard to reflect it? Again, map reading is an important skill and anything that we can do to become more proficient as a team would be time well spent.

Now for my soapbox: I think that a really good thing happened after the last shuttle mission. Here's what happened: As the mission was winding down a few people suggested that we go and grab a late lunch/early dinner. Kevin Silver (AMRC) was thinking the same thing and suggested that we all go and grab some burgers and beer together. So about 5 Cibola members and about 5 AMRC members went and had burgers and beer together after the mission. I was there, it was fun, and the burgers and beer were good. Personally I enjoyed the chance to talk to some of AMRC's members and learn a little more about them. This is the kind of interteam interaction that I think is needed. Enough of my soapbox.

Back to Top
Boots and Blisters by Steven Buckley, Training Officer
We are already a third of the way through the year! I want to thank everyone for your excellent participation in our training program. I have tried hard to come up with a training program that meets everyone's needs without being boring. With the help of some dedicated members of our team, it has been both informative and fun.

Our "standard" training events are intended to familiarize each of us with the skills required for the evaluation being held that month. These training events are crucial to the progression of our newest members...the prospectives. They need to see the skills required for a given evaluation prior to being evaluated. For those of us who have been around a few years, they can be routine, if not boring. Despite the threat of a routine training, some of these trainings have had an interesting twist. These trainings even had something new and different for the veterans.

Many of you attended Larry Mervine's excellent litter training in March. I was grateful that Larry agreed to do the litter training. Some of the most useful litter skills I have came from Larry. I hoped that I could talk him into doing a litter training and pass those skills on to others on the team. Larry agreed and we all got a chance to learn from an expert. Larry's method to level the litter is the best I have heard. If everyone followed his expert advice, our arms would be a lot less tired after a long haul. As an added benefit, Larry decided to "train like we operate" and put a subject some distance up the trail for us to find, package, and evacuate. Larry recruited David Chapek to be the subject. Of course, David decided to throw a ringer into the mission and added an additional subject. Finally, Tom Russo rolled in and made David and his friend look really hurt. Larry's outstanding litter training coupled with a realistic medical scenario made that particular training a paragon for other training to emulate. If all of our standard trainings are 80% as effective as that training, I will be happy.

Of course, for those of you who have attended the two search techniques trainings I have given, 50% is more like my best. Here is the pitch... I need to tap into the experience of this team to achieve even an 80% solution. I ask those of you who have been around a while to consider passing on your experience. I ask all of you, especially the new folks, to add something extra to the training to take it the extra few percent. If you are interested, please call me and volunteer.

To give the "old heads" a robust training program, I have added "optional" training opportunities. Tony Gaier executed a superb "optional" training last month. His "night nav" training was a lot of fun, very well executed and useful practice as well. It is a great example of what I am trying to accomplish with this part of the training program. I am planning to run a Geo Caching activity on 19 April. It promises to be fun and good practice with our GPSs. I am also trying to get the State Police helicopter for the 17th of May. I am looking for a little help in setting that one up. Any ideas for a location? Finally, our pre-meeting training program is a set of mini lessons. So far we have had two medical trainings and a nav training. I hope that we will have a summary of the two Shuttle search missions from the New Mexico SAR Support Team this month. I am always looking for ideas and volunteers for those too. My default pre-meeting training is a bag drag.

Finally, I encourage all of you to attend this year's ESCAPE. I like to go with a mission each year. The first year it was to pass PACE. Last year it was to become a HAM. Mission accomplished both times. ESCAPE made both easy. This year I hope to run a simple Mock Search. Anyway, thanks to all for making our training program a success. So far this year, more than a third of you have completed your required trainings for this half. Keep it up. "Train like you operate, operate like you train!"

Back to Top
Business as Usual:Meeting Minutes by Tom Russo for Joyce Rumschlag, Secretary

Highlights of the minutes for the 13 March 2003 business meeting

The meeting was attended by 13 active members, 4 prospective members and one non-member.

Pre-meeting activity

Tony Gaier led a pre-meeting mini-training on map and compass use.

President's Report

President Aaron Hall opened the meeting at 19:18.

Aaron reminded members about the coming New Mexico Emergency Services Council conference, ESCAPE 2003, beginning Friday evening, May 2 and continuing to Sunday afternoon, May 4.

David Dixon proposed that the team reimburse active and prospective members who present receipts for a maximum of $50 per member with a $1000 cap of total team expenditure. Reimbursement to occur only for members who present receipts by the next meeting after ESCAPE. Vote: 12 for, 0 against

Aaron mentioned that the team has been called for a second Columbia debris search. Details will be on the hotline.

Lili Ziesmann and David Dixon have swapped months for pager 1. Lili will be pager 1 in March, David in April.

Aaron had a meeting with AMRC president Kevin Silver in the hopes of continuing a dialog on how to improve inter-team relations. Some of the ideas raised during that meeting were discussed, and other opportunities for joint activities suggested.

Aaron mentioned that there is talk from James Newberry of forming a "Central New Mexico Joint Training Group" involving all local teams from Albuquerque/Santa Fe/Los Alamos, etc. One "big" training every quarter or so; our annual mock search was an example. Everyone thinks this is a great idea that might take a while to get up to speed.

Pager 2 for April will be Tom Russo. Pager 2 for May is up for grabs.

Old Issues

NASAR: Team is now a member of NASAR. NASAR annual conference 28 May to 31 May, Reno, NV, Golden Nugget hotel. Registration for the conference is $190.

New Issues

Aaron said that the officers were discussing the idea of issuing ID tags with team logo to team members. Ideas included something like a luggage tag, maybe laminated with a member's photo and name, emergency contact info. David Dixon pointed out that this has been done before by Susan Corban, and was a good idea that should be tried again.

Membership

Membership officer David Chapek announced that Ron Fitzpatrick and Robert Baker are now prospective members and have both passed the PACE exam already. David thanked all those who have helped with recruitment.

Treasurer's Report

Treasurer Lili Ziesmann reported the team's income, expenses and current balance.

Training Officer's Report

Training officer Steve Buckley gave a recap of litter training: David Chapek and his friend were made up (moulaged) to look injured. Larry Mervine led the training, talking about techniques of litter transport to minimize team effort and maximize subject comfort. All agreed that it was an interesting training. There was discussion of reimbursing Tom for moulage materials used. Tom stated he had not yet used any significant amount of materials to justify reimbursement.

Steve gave his thanks to all those who helped with training so far.

Steve made a suggestion to Paul McClendon that Larry Mervine would be interested in leading a search techniques training at ESCAPE. Also suggestion to run a mock mission involving injured subject.

A suggestion was made that a training first aid kit be put together so that on trainings we don't waste personal gear bandaging uninjured subjects. Tony Gaier does not have lots of extra first aid supplies, the stash of extra medical supplies has been picked through a great deal. The training kit wouldn't need to be kept sterile --- gauze and such could be reused.

David Dixon commented that moulaging the simulated injury was a huge difference from just pretending the subject was injured. He said that his initial reaction was that the subject really was hurt.

Steve talked to James Newberry about a helicopter training involving NM 606. Steve would like to open the training up to other area teams.

The next training will be a night land nav training 18:30, 22 March, would like to have it at La Luz trailhead, but is not sure yet. Tony will know for sure by Friday 14 March.

Litter handling eval 30 March, Embudo canyon.

Equipment Committee Report

Equipment committee chair Tony Gaier reported that he has not yet purchased the equipment that has been voted on, but will do so soon. A new litter will be ordered shortly, and our old litter will begin to be used mostly for trainings. The old litter will be maintained in mission-ready condition so that it can still be used in the event of multiple-subject missions. Tony will bring the practice litter to most trainings, but will store it at his home rather than in the team gear cache at the fire station.

There was a discussion about the issue of space at the Zamora road fire station. We almost certainly can't get any more space there.

Snow shoes are in the gear cache. Tony will buy poles to use with them and another two pairs of snow shoes.

Tony still has lots of batteries on hand.

Public Relations Committee Report

PR chair David Dixon noticed that his newsletter article has the wrong date for the next PR committee meeting, but the calendar is correct.

The PR committee had a good meeting in February. Committee will be putting up posters and flyers. Will be setting up recruitment talks. Asks members to tell him where they have already put up posters.

Committee talked about getting orange shirts, still no definitive action but there is movement on the issue. Adam Hernandez passed around some example shirts and hats that he had obtained. Adam has also called several companies (Zia Graphics and Silva's) to look into silk screening/embroidering. Will cost about $15 for setup and $4-7 per item decorated. Cost is based on number of stitches needed. The setup fee is one-time, and stays on their computer. DPS logo already on file.

Steve Buckley will put out an email to the team looking for folks who want to buy new orange shirts, as Aaction uniforms is not stocking them but will special order in lots of three or more. David Dixon would like a brighter orange shirt. Adam Hernandez will look into that, too.

There will be no PR meeting in March, but the April meeting will be at the usual time and place.

Back to Top
Public Relations by David Dixon
First off, thanks to Mark Espelien for the suggestion, and Lili and Tom for setting up a nice-touch addition to our Homepage, a "Make a donation to Cibola" web page. Visitors can now do more than compliment us for our great site and community work. They can thank us financially.

Frances and I will give an Outdoor Lesson this month to some special kids at Hodgin Elementary. We'll do the 10 Essentials, being prepared, what to do if, and of course lots of discussion about wild animals. These presentations are nice way to volunteer, a fun learning experience for everyone, and another way Cibola gives to the community.

Do you know a potential member you could invite to a meeting? Do you know of a place that gets our kind of traffic where we could put a recruiting poster or membership pamphlets? Are you familiar with grants and other financial sources that we might apply for? Would you write to a bunch of businesses asking for donations or discounts? Do you like young, excited kids who love to talk about bears and snakes? Do you like old, excited adults who enjoy the outdoors? Would you like to share your outdoor expertise?

If you answered no (or yes) to any of these then you need a P.R. meeting - this month on the 30th, Frontier Restaurant, 6:30 p.m.

(Note: Committee members that have distributed pamphlets or posters please bring those locations to the meeting or email to me).

Back to Top
Web News by Tom Russo
I have done no web site software upgrades in a few months, but the next in line for revamping is the medical database. Mike and I will meet soon to flesh out the requirements of the new software, and I'll probably get working on it in May.

David Dixon has offered to help Mike and me with newsletter editing chores. For the past couple of months David has been helping to review the newsletter content since neither Mike nor I have been free to give this task all the attention it deserves. Thank you, David.

Since I have been unable to perform my job as newsletter editor as effectively as I once did, I have been hoping to find a volunteer to take over so I could step aside. To date nobody has volunteered, so I find myself in the sad position of having to resign as newsletter editor without a replacement on deck. The July issue of Lost... and Found will be the last one I produce. Naturally, if someone comes forward to take over I will gladly continue to help out until that person is up to speed. If this newsletter has been of value to you, then please volunteer to keep it going.


The team website can be accessed at http://www.cibolasar.org/
Back to Top
Disclaimer and Copyright notice the Editors
The contents of this newsletter are copyright © 2003 by their respective authors or by Cibola Search and Rescue, Inc., and individual articles represent the opinions of the author. Cibola SAR makes no representation, express or implied, with regard to the accuracy of the information contained in these articles, and cannot accept any legal responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions that may be made. Articles contained in this newsletter may be reproduced, with attribution given to Cibola SAR and the author, by any member of the Search and Rescue community for use in other team's publications.