What's changed recently?
Web site maintained by the CSAR Web Staff
Last Modified: 04/20/15 12:39:12
- Nothing to see here anymore The webmaster has stopped updating
this page. It has been quite some time since new non-member content has
been added to the site, and most of the dynamic stuff is behind the
- 12 May 2011: Published final issue of Lost... and Found, 16-5,
our 177th monthly issue. Our newsletter was begun in September of 1996 and
filled a communications gap with our members, but after more than 14 years we
decided it was no longer serving that purpose and that publishing it monthly
was a waste of time and energy. We thank those of you who used to read it for
- 11 September 2008: Published September 2008 issue of Lost ... and Found, our 145th
- 4 June 2007:Added a Google Custom Search box to our site. This box
uses Google's search engine to search our site, and as such is only as good as
Google's indexing of our site. As of today, Google has not quite got all of
our new site indexed, but I'm working on that. Might be a week or two before
everything is just right.
- 30 May 2007: Migration of the old web site to the new is basically
complete (modulo two officer-only database applications), and the old site
now just redirects here. All the content is still here, but I have not set up
file-by-file redirection: if you visit any page on the old site it simply
redirects you to the home page on the new site. This will no doubt cause some
folks who find our site through google a moment's headache, but it should not
be especially difficult to find the original content on the new site --- the
site doesn't have that many layers of links to wade through.
- 20 May 2007: Began migration of site to http://www.cibolasar.org/.
There have been other things since 20 Dec 2005, but for some reason I didn't
keep this page up to date. There have been newsletters every month, a
fair number of new minilessons, and a whole new look: we've got a new banner
image, and our page no longer has a bright white background with bright colors
to attack your eyes. The site is not yet fully migrated, though.
- 20 Dec 2005: Updated contact
information to reflect the new board.
- 13 December 2005: Installed cascading style sheets to make the
green navigation bar hover at the top left corner of the page even when
scrolling any of our pages. This behavior only works on W3C standard
compliant browsers. For other browsers (those that don't implement style
sheets, or those that have broken box models like Internet Explorer), the old
behavior of having the navigation links at the bottom remains. Contact the
webmaster if you notice any browser-specific usability problems, as it remains
our intention that this web site not require users to change their browser to
use our site effectively.
- 29 Jun 2005: Updated contact
information to reflect the new board after June's special election.
- 23 Feb 2005 Removed some dead links from the Other Interesting Web Sites page, mostly in the
- 9 Feb 2005: Add a link to Welcome
to Geodesy to our Other Interesting Web
- 16 Jan 2005: Updated Training Policy page to include
new requirements imposed at the November 2003 meeting that have never
been previously documented other than in the December 2003 newsletter, and
update the Instructions to Evaluators and
Skills Checklist for the land navigation
evaluation to reflect changes in the policy. The original web page with the
checklist and instructions to evaluators has been split into separate
documents for ease of access and printing.
- 7 Jan 2005: Updated contact
information to reflect the new board.
- 20 October 2004 Changed links to FCC regulations in the Basic Communications Minilesson so they point to more
recent sets of regulations at the Government Printing Office. Added a link to
the top level GPO Access site to Other Interesting Sites.
- 15 Sept 2004: Added A grunt's
introduction to map projections, to the minilessons page.
- 3 September 2004 Added link to Geodesy for the
Layman to our Other Interesting Web Sites page.
- 13 January 2004:Added a link to TopoWeb to our
Other Interesting Web Sites page.
- 1 December 2003: Made team calendar database viewable by anyone.
Check out the "Calendar" button in the bottom green navigation bar.
- 13 October 2003: Added an early draft of a debrief for our last
mock search to the training
- 9 October 2003: Added some photos from the mock search to our Photo Gallery
- 20 March 2003: Added some more training photos to our photo gallery. These are actually just links to
the photos in the training debrief added a couple of days ago.
- 18 March 2003: Added an early draft of a debrief for our last
litter handling training to the training
- 9 Jan 2003: Publish first draft page of Cibola SAR Bylaws.
- 17 Dec 2002: Added The SAR Pack, Part II,
The SAR Pack, Part III, and Less Basic Communications to the minilessons page.
- 8 August 2002: Updated the Frequently Asked Questions List to add a couple of more
frequently asked questions, and more up-to-date mission statistics than the
"1994-1997" stuff that has been there forever.
- 13 June 2002: Added Steve Buckley's SAR Cutting Tools articles to
the minilessons page.
- 2 May 2002 Removed some dead links from the Other Interesting Web Sites page. There were quite a lot of them, and this web page was in danger of being a cobweb page.
- 15 Sept 2001: Added debrief for our Mock Search
to the training debriefs page
- 13 June 2001: Added some links to mapping products and programs to
our Other Interesting Sites page.
- 19 Apr 2001: Added a link to a FEMA self-study course on ICS to
our Other Interesting Sites page.
- 16 Jan 2001: Added debrief for December's land nav training/mission
to the training debriefs page
- 3 Jan 2001: Removed 20 or so old items on this page that said
than "published newsletter." Updated contact
information to reflect new executive board. Updated training schedule page.
- 31 July 2000: Added an editorial note to our "Basic SAR
Communications" minilesson pointing readers at the FCC's on-line regulations.
- 20 July 2000: Updated Training
debriefs page to include last weekend's mock search.
- 12 July 2000: Added a Hike of the Month
archive. Published July 2000 issue of Lost ... and Found.
- 15 May 2000: Made what few "training debriefs" we had on line
available outside of the "Training Records" database, and put them on the training debriefs page.
- 27 Sept 1999: Made separate pages of minilessons from past newsletters that somehow
never made it to the minlessons page before.
- 12 August 1999: Minor cosmetic changes made to the Frequently Asked Questions List, the Introduction to Cibola SAR, our Minimum Required Gear List and our Three Tiered Clothing System FAQ.
- 12 July 1999: Updated contacts page to
reflect results of special election.
- 16 June 1999: Updated some links in the Other
Interesting Sites page, including a link to an updated, functional SuperMorse to replace the outdated version
4.06 that didn't run under Windoze 95/98.
- 6 Apr 1999: Published April issue of Lost ... and Found. Added a nifty
little link to the top level home page which gives today's weather, updated
regularly, and a link to a 5-day forecast from the weather channel.
- 19 Jan 1999: Updated Training Policy page to include
requirements imposed at the December 1997 meeting that have never
been previously documented other than in minutes, and to incorporate a
change in recertification frequency decided at the March 1999.
- 20 Jan 1999:Added Mike Dugger's article on hypothermia and Mike Dugger and Tom
Russo's article on fire starting techniques to minilessons page.
- 19 Jan 1999: Updated gear and Training Policy pages to reflect a
recent change in the requirements for PACE certification.
- 14 December 1998: Added link to training schedule to main web page
- 11 December 1998: Changed contacts page to reflect new officers as of 10
- 21 October 1998: Added link to the Interesting Links page pointing to the Upper Rio FM Society website.
- 14 Oct 1998:Added David Dixon's article on The SAR Pack to minilessons page.
- 4 Sept 1998: Published September issue of Lost ... and Found. Modified
newsletter access page to allow SWCP's search engine indexer to find stuff on
our newsletter, so now our search page will
retrieve newsletters that match keywords, as well as regular web
pages. [Ed. Note: URL to search page removed 1 Jun 07 because it's no longer there.]
- 7 August 1998: Published August issue of Lost ... and Found. Added topo map reading minilesson to minilessons page.
- 11 June 1998: Published June issue of Lost ... and Found. Updated CSAR
- 24 April 1998: Updated CSAR
Contacts to reflect changes in executive board.
- 2 April 1998: Updated lesson on Basic Knots -- Part 2 with the pictures of
the prussic hitch and water knot
- 5 March 1998: Updated minilessons page to include link to John
Mindock's lesson on Orienteering.
- 5 March 1998: Published March issue of Lost ... and Found.
- 22 January 1998: Added some more training photos to our photo gallery.
- 20 January 1998: Updated minilessons page to include link to Tom
Russo's lesson on Basic Knots -- Part 2
even though it's not finished.
- 8 January 1998: Added some training photos to our photo gallery.
- 6 January 1998: Updated minilessons page to include link to Mike
Dugger's lesson on Basic Radio Communications
which also appears in the January issue of Lost ... and Found.
- 6 January 1998: Updated minilessons page to include link to Tom
Russo's lesson on Basic Knots -- Part 1
which will appear in the February issue of Lost ... and Found, and is also
linked to from the training policy and standards page since
those knots are required as part of the litter evaluation.
- 26 December 1997: Added a "resources" section to training policy and standards page. So
far only a link to the litter evaluation instructions and checklist
are there, but more will come, especially once the pictures I took of knots in
various stages of tying get back from the shop.
- 16 December 1997: Added more links to the Interesting Links page.
- 12 December 1997: Changed contacts page to reflect new officers as of 11
- 5 December 1997: Major cleanup of HTML - ran the whole thing
through weblint and fixed all errors. Still need to fix the newsletter so
that Lynx users can read it, but this is a major undertaking and my only
happen for future newsletters, not for past issues. Took the "Web
Interoperability Pledge" and added a link to the WIP home page to our top
level page. There are still problems with HTML 3.2 spec compliance. We'll
- 4 December 1997: Added more Ham radio links to the Interesting Links page.
- 2 December 1997: Updated minilessons page to include link to John
Mindock's second lesson on Clothing for SAR.
- 13 November 1997: Updated minilessons page to include link to John
Mindock's lesson on Clothing for SAR.
- 24 September 1997: Updated Answers to
Frequently Asked Questions page to include 3-year mission statistics.
- 23 September 1997: Updated minilessons page to include link to John
Mindock's second lesson on Probability of Detection.
- 20 September 1997:Modified Introduction to Cibola SAR page at direction of
- 19 September 1997:Modified Frequently
Asked Questions to include a pointer to our revised training policy and standards.
- 16 September 1997: Added text to About This Website to describe how to fix up cookie problems.
- 10 September 1997: Added contact
page listing current team mailing address and executive officers. Added
links to Interesting Links page.
- 2 September 1997: Updated Frequently
Asked Questions list to include executive board's approved changes. Moved
UTM Converter page to the publically
- 28 August 1997: Added the What's New page and updated the Minilessons
page to include John Mindock's latest article on Probability of Detection.
This page has been accessed times since 05/20/07.